Electrical Fire at Sterlite; 1 injured

Thoothukudi, 8 March, 2013 — One person was severely injured when an electrical fire broke out in the Motor Control Room of the Phosporic Acid Plant in Sterlite’s copper smelter complex here on March 8th. The accident, which occurred at 3.15 p.m., left 30-year old electrician Amalan severely injured with burns on his face and chest. According to a worker from the Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangam union, the injured worker was removed to a private hospital only at 5 p.m. The police were not intimated, and no FIR was registered until union members protested prompting the management to intimate the police. According to the union worker, the family is unwilling to pursue the matter with the police. Sterlite was closed down by the Madras High Court in September 2010. They reopened after obtaining an interim injuction on the closure order from the Supreme Court. Arguments in the appeal filed by Sterlite in the apex court concluded last year. A final order is awaited.

Nityanand Jayaraman

This entry was posted in Factory Workers, News, Worksite Accidents/Deaths and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.