Commemorating International Women’s Day, Forum for Information Technology Employees (FITE) Chennai chapter, took to the streets, distributing leaflets around TIDEL Park on IT Corridor. The leaflet discussed various forms of discrimination women suffer within a male dominated, patriarchal work environment
It has also presented a shorter charter of demands to the Central and State Governments to ensure equal opportunities for women, taking into consideration their distinct requirements.
• Grant paid maternity leave for at least 6 months
• Set up free child care facility in all organizations where women are employed
• Ensure equal employment opportunity at all levels of the organizational hierarchy
• Deploy women in night shift with their consent
• Give flexible working time and office location, with enough break-time during menses, pregnancy and breast feeding
• Ensure Internal Complaints Committee to inquire on the sexual harassments against women in all organizations where women are employed
• Organize gender sensitization workshops at regular intervals for all employees at workplace
The Full leaflet can be accessed from their website
FITE was formed over a year back, during the height of the TCS mass lay -off crisis. It had raised the issue of arbitrary terminations both in the courts as well as outside, trying to gain a modicum of tenure protection for IT employees. It has since taken up various issues of the IT employees and has been running campaigns for better working conditions in the sector.