Forum for Information Technology Employees had released a Charter of Demands for IT employees in March. Below are the demands excepted from the English Translation of the charter published in Tamil earlier
Charter of Demands – IT and ITES Employees
…. As we step towards fourth Industrial Revolution which would lead to creation of more job opportunities, advent of automation and artificial intelligence such as Robotics would significantly reduce job opportunities in the future. In this very situation where IT employees are devoid of law empowerment and are deprived of their right to unionize, Forum for IT Employees – FITE places the following demands to your attention and we request determined action upon them,
1) The Government should encourage IT employees to unionize themselves with Trade Unions in order to redress the issues arising with the management at workplaces.
2) NASSCOM maintains a database called “National Skills Registry – NSR” which comprises details of employees of Indian IT sector. The details include even personal – biometric data of employees and it is still not transparent on the usage and the requirement of these employees’ details. Hence NSR should not be maintained and its usage should be purged.
3) Because of the mechanism called “Background Check”, an employee has to remain a silent spectator whenever there is a violation of workplace rights on him/her. So this process of “Background Check” before hiring an employee should be banned.
4) IT employers themselves such as Infosys have observed that Performance Appraisal System offers only a biased way of assessing employees’ skill and hence have moved away from that system. Since this performance appraisal fundamentally determines the salary hike and promotion opportunities for the employees, we demand that the government should monitor this process and devise a suitable alternative system for assessing skill of IT employees.
5) In places where IT companies are concentrated, affordable and quality rental accommodations and government hostels should be made available for both male and women employees.
6) Judicial tribunals that would dedicatedly investigate into the problems of IT employees should be immediately installed.
7) In order to perform conciliation to problems/disputes faced by IT employees, Labour Conciliation offices should be installed in places where IT companies are concentrated.
8) The Government of Tamil Nadu should take all necessary steps in bringing the employees of IT sector under Industrial Disputes Act. It should further ensure that this law has provisions in order to make amendments in future according to requirements of employees of IT sector.
9) Working Hours of IT employees should be strictly maintained as 8 hours per day.
Demands of women employees
10) Paid Maternity leave of Women Employees should be increased to 6 months.
11) At least 1 out of 3 employees should be ensured that she is a woman and this should be done in all different positions/levels of IT sector. There should be in place a mechanism that would gradually ensure attainment of equal participation of men and women in all job and growth opportunities in IT sector.
12) IT companies should facilitate working women by inclusion of day care centers in their office premises for them to take care of their children.
13) Establishment of “Internal Complaints Committee” in order to investigate complaints of sexual harassment should be ensured in all workplaces that employ women. The members comprising of that committee should be sensitive towards such issues and should be fit enough in handling them.
14) During the time of pregnancy, flexibility in workplace, work timings and work from home option should be made available for women.
15) Safety transportation of woman employees during night times from company to home and vice versa should be ensured by the companies.
The full text of the charter of demands with explanatory introduction can be accessed at fite.org